Why I love macro photography : Details, details

I love macro photography. (For those of you not familiar with the terminology, 'macro photography' refers to ultra-close-up shots.)

What I love most about macro photography are the surprise elements that always pop out. Those surprises are fine details that either can't be seen or aren't noticed with the naked eye, but which emerge clearly when the macro photo is enlarged.

The 1:1 macro shot of the little hermit crab on this page is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The shell that is this little guy's home was all of an inch (about 2.5 cm) long. As I lay on my belly to photograph this subject I could see the shell, and the crab, and I could tell that the crab was a reddish color. I could make out legs and eyestalks -- but until the film was processed, I had no idea that the crab's eyes were turquoise, or that he had such hairy legs! (Click on the photo for a larger version, and you'll see what I mean.)

We don't know the species name for this hermit crab. If anyone out there does know, please tell us. It was photographed in the Mediterranean Sea at Konnos Bay, Cyprus at a depth of less than two meters.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creature! It looks very different from our hermit crabs. You know what species this one is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas -

    No, I don't know what species this hermit crab is. I'm hoping that someone who does know may see the photo and tell us the name.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macro photography is my favorite Bobbie, it really opens up a new world to you when you shoot it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow = when you enlarge the photo it is awesome - I am awestruck with the little crab's beauty and your talent.Macro photography rocks !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macro is my favorite also - it's definitely the details!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Just as you stated, the details are crystal clear. Really wonderful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see we have a lot of macro photography fans among our readers. Guess I'll have to post some more critter close-ups for you.

    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and invite your questions. Dialogue is a good thing!

Bobbie & Jerry