Nassau Grouper: Overfished and Now Endangered

What: Nassau Grouper (Epinephelus striatus). Valued as a food fish,
but over-harvested -- now classified as Endangered by the World Conservation Union (IUCN).

Where: I took this photo during a night dive off the coast of West Caicos, Turks & Caicos Islands.
Nassau Groupers are found throughout the tropical West Atlantic and Caribbean.

Click here to learn more about the Nassau Grouper.

Nassau Grouper (Epinephelus striatus)
Click in the photo to enlarge.

Wordless Wednesday
Watery Wednesday

14 comments:

  1. I am guessing their endangered status now means that they are protected. Hopefully they will be able to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful fish, but another sad story of decline due to man. Will we ever learn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot!

    Happy WW:)

    Aloha,
    Cindy O
    Stop by http://upcountrysmiles/com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they have protection now. the degree to which our seas are being overfished dismays me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!
    Its a wonderful shot,
    I love it ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a contemplative look. Good job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always a shame when a species becomes endangered. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always a wonderful shot... Grouper have it bad since one fish can feed so many people... Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Overfished is such a big problem. To me, he is too beautiful to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I love your underwater shots. This is wonderful and I love the lighting not to mention that it's also a neat looking fish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a Zebra...only brown and white. Great shot. Happy WW my friend. Thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great closeup!
    Is it protected? I'm thinking along the same lines as catsynth - but I realize it could also be a case of yes it's endangered IF we don't do something.
    I hope it's protected.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments and invite your questions. Dialogue is a good thing!

Bobbie & Jerry